Monday, July 27, 2009

Ramblings of a Dog Lover



There is a reason that dogs are called man's best friend, its because they really are. Dogs are great. They love you when no one else does, when the world turns its back on you, your dog and Jesus is all ya got left. Dogs are happy to see you come home, they lick your face when your sad, give you a paw to cry on when you need to, all without judgement or lectures.

When our dog, "Bodie" died I wasn't sure our family would ever recover. It was a tragic death, and it shook us all. We loved him so much, but more than that we knew he loved us. He was loyal to a fault, with the sweetest puppy dog eyes I've ever seen. Shortly after his death we got a kitten. We knew from the get go, that she was a rebound relationship. We love her and she is great, BUT cats are not dogs. THEN yesterday we rescued a doxie dog. From early in my childhood this has always been my favorite breed of dog. The kids were so excited to meet her. And I knew she had to pass the "kid friendly" test before I could bring her home. Doxie's can sometimes be aggressive with children. She was so sweet. "Dixie" is what we've named her and from the moment we saw her we fell in love. She doesn't have a mean bone in her body. She has been so neglected that I think she is just so happy to have someone love her.

What amazes me about "Dixie" is my kids ability to love again. It struck me this morning as we were showing her off to some friends that my kids think that she is as great as I do. They love her, really love her. And after loosing "Bodie" I wasn't sure that would happen again, and so soon. When I've been hurt, wounded, or lost someone close to me, I tend to become shy, afraid, and scared to risk my heart again. My kids show no sign of that at all, and I'm in such amazement to watch them open up their hearts again.

No comments: