Wednesday, April 16, 2008

God Bless America

Flipping through the channels this morning I came to Fox News, which had live coverage of the Pope's visit to the White House. I only got the hear the tale end of Pres. Bush's speech, but I did get to hear all of the Pope's speech. I thought it was beautifully written and well delivered and I hope it will be well received by the Christian community in America. The greatest quote I heard was "freedom without truth and justice is not really freedom at all" AMEN to that. Even with all the nodding and AMENing going on in my head the greatest moment for me came when the US Army Chorus gave a moving performance of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" on the south lawn of the White House. I have to admit, I teared up. Not so much because of the performance, but because I was so grateful to live in a country where the lyrics, "his truth is marching on" can be sang in our Nation's capital at the home of our nation's President. Not all Christians in the world are so fortunate. With all of our faults and things we could improve on, we are still a great nation. God has indeed blessed our land! As Christians may we never take that for granted.

No comments: