Friday, March 20, 2009

becoming Family



above: Victoria, Brandi, Erin (Jan. 08)
I lived in a small apartment on the campus of Southern Seminary. 900 sq ft. and two children to raise. It was upstairs with very small windows, no balcony at all. I refer to that time in my life as if I were a caged bird. I read a book once by Maya Angelou "I know why the caged bird sings", I found it to be very true of my life at that time as well. Few times I have ever felt so alone and insecure in all the days of my life as I did those first few months on campus. God had other ideas for me, I just couldn't see them yet. Below me was another caged bird. It was a different cage but prison walls are all the same no matter their color. We were both fighting hard to break walls, untie chains, and heal shattered broken lives. In the process we became family. Erin is closer than a friend. To call her my best friend doesn't seem to do it justice. She is family is every sense of the word. Her joys are my joys and her sorrows are mine as well. I travel to see her in a few days and celebrate the birth of her fourth son, Nate. I look forward to pick up right where we left off. As best I can remember we had set out to solve the worlds problems together, storm the gates of hell with a water pistol or something to that affect. Conversation should be interesting!!! I love you sweet sister and can't wait to see you guys!!!

No comments: