Sunday, May 11, 2008

He is mighty indeed!

A little background: This is my aunt, Donna. She came to live at my grandmother's house when she was just 13 yrs old. She was taken away from her family due to extreme abuse and neglect. My grandmother adopted her and she has been part of our family since. When I was a baby her days were spent rocking me to sleep while watching her soaps. She has many disabilites. She has never learned to read or write. When she came to live with my grandmother, Donna's social worker told her that Donna would never mentally mature past the age of 6yrs old. Dispite her limitations and the abuse she has endured, Donna has a heart of gold and a spirit of sweetness I have never seen in another human being.

I say all that to say this: She came to spend the weekend with me. Time was coming for Sunday morning worship. Donna is very uncomfortable in social situations and I was advised by my grandmother to not take her to our church. More than anything, I think my grandmother's concern was our "loud" music. She was only concerned that Donna may not handle it very well. I felt in my gut that she should go. Selfishly I was thinking how she could help me, by carrying an extra bag or two. Getting three kids into church (and one is still not walking) can be down right bothersome. And Brad would already be at church practicing with the Praise Band. So we get into church and the music starts. I look to see Donna trying to sing and hum the melody even though she couldn't read the music. That was precious enough....and then the last song was "Mighty To Save" and the whole church entered into this worship that I can't explain. It was just of God. He was there and you could sense it. I had Brennan in my arms and I couldn't raise my hands so I just closed my eyes and worshiped the Lord. I just got this sense that we had entered this holy place, we were on holy ground together. Words can't express what I felt in that room. And then.........God did something so "mighty". I looked over and Donna was crying. And I knew why. And then I started to cry and was a blubbering mess. This is just my take on it, but this is what I feel like happened. Even though Donna can't really understand the concept of "the body of Christ" and even though I have shared Jesus and the gospel with her many times I don't know if she has the "abilities" to understand and accept it. Only God knows that. But when she with limited capabilites and understanding witnesses the church in worship of their Lord it says something about him and about our love and affections for him. I pray that one day, Donna will bow at the feet of Christ and place her crown at his throne, but today I think she maybe got a glimpse of what worship on earth is like. Maybe today God gave a human being with limited understanding the ability to understand something of eternity, that no matter what our brains may or may not understand here on this earth that one day every knee shall bow and every tongue will confess that he is Lord and is to be worshiped.

These are the lyrics:
"Mighty to Save"

Everyone needs compassion
A love that's never failing
Let mercy fall on me

Everyone needs forgiveness
A kindness of a Savior
The hope of nations

My Savior
He can move the mountains
My God is Mighty to save
He is Mighty to save
ForeverAuthor of salvation
He rose and conquered the grave
Jesus conquered the grave

So take me as You find me
All my fears and failures
Fill my life again
I give my life to follow
Everything I believe in
Now I surrender

Shine your light and let the whole world see
We're singing for the glory of the risen King...Jesus (x3)
Chrous

3 comments:

Mary Kate said...

I must say that I believe we are privileged to know your family.

Clements, party of 5 said...

You are so sweet ms mary kate. its funny, i feel the same way about your family!

Heidi said...

What a precious blog, Brandi. I too felt the awesome worship on Sunday. I'm not sure how anyone in that room on Sunday could not have felt God's pull at their heart. I know God speaks to us each exactly where we are and we can surely take comfort in that. Thank you for introducing us to your family.