Sunday, May 11, 2008

Nanny's garden

My grandmothers favorite flower! The blue iris.
Mother's Day rose bush that my grandmother has kept alive and thriving for 50 yrs.
My grandmother is also an avid bird lover. Her yard is full of things birds love and they flock (heehee) to her yard every spring and summer. We peaked a look into her latest addition. Aren't they cute!
The picture above and below is of the same flower, but has an interesting story. My grandmother's mother, Etta Jones-Simmons lived on over 150 acres of what is now known as Shanty Hollow Lake. To them it was just their family farm. When they sold the land and moved to Jack Simmons Rd, she took these iris bulbs with her. She planted them and they grew. When she died, my grandmother, Nanny dug them up and took them to her own land, (which was really just the 3 acres behind her mothers land). They have come back every year since. So these same bulbs that produce such pretty flowers for all of us to enjoy are the very same ones that my great grandmother found growing in the wild about 100 yrs ago. Very cool, I think.

No comments: